Friday, May 9, 2008

Flying through the canopy

Costa Rica : Today was the first of the adventure activities for this leg of the journey. Firstly I'd like to say I'm not very good with heights... in fact I'm scared of them. Which makes my choice of activity today rather perplexing. Zip lining is basicly being harnessed to a metal cable, then jumping off a platform and flying through the jungle canopy to another platform. Some of the lines were over 700m long and crossed between mountains (BIG gullies underneath). Once I realised that I wasn't going to die, I was able to appreciate the spectacular view from the mountains of Monteverde all the was to the Pacific Ocean. It was a truely awesome view!!!

Now if that wasn't enough the company my group went with also has a rapelling line and a tarzan swing. If I though being rapelling off the platform, straight down to the jungle floor was scary. I had experienced nothing yet.... the tarzan swing was terrifying!!!!!! Stand on the edge of a platform and jump with no tension in the line while to plummet 10m into a gully. The the rope takes up the slack and you are swung into the tree tops. I didn't scream but that was because I was too scaried to breathe. It was an amazing adrenalin rush that I'm not in a hurry to repeat!!!

Source: Traveljournals.net

No comments: